Library Services - Disability Access Services
Assistance from staff
Staff of the Shaw University Libraries is happy to provide services to meet the needs of its users with disabilities. The library staff will assist with the use of the SIRSI online catalog, and provide specialized assistance to users needing special assistance with library materials.
Before beginning in-depth research, patrons with disabilities should contact a librarian to ensure uninterrupted assistance. An individual with a visual impairment is expected to bring a reading assistant or student if extensive use of resources is anticipated.
Retrieving, checking out, and renewing materials
If your disability limits your ability to retrieve materials from the book stacks, it is recommended that you bring a student or someone to assist you. Assistance in retrieving books will be provided by circulation staff and student assistants as needed.
Through NC Live, patrons with disabilities have free, online access to a collection of approximately 1300 audio books, which are compatible with most iPods and MP3 devices. The entire collection focuses primarily on language learning audio books, classic literature, history, and biography. Patrons can download and instantly listen to titles, such as Julia Child’s My Life in France, Charlotte Bronte’s Jane Eyre, and Stephen King’s Shawshank Redemption, or they can try to learn a new language, such as Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Italian, and Spanish.North Carolina library patrons can download the audio books from home or in their library with an Internet connection. The audio books are accessible from North Carolina library websites, and the NC LIVE website at http://nclive.org.
E-Books are available through NC LIVE
Currently NC LIVE offers E-Book (electronic book) content from the following providers:
- E-Books on EBSCOhost(24,600 titles): includes titles in Literature, Technology, Career & Self Help, how-to books, and more.
- Gale Virtual Reference Library(25 titles): reference books and encyclopedias in Religion, History, Philosophy, and more.
- ABC-CLIO(200 titles): includes titles in History, Literature, and more.
- MyiLibrary eBooks(370 titles): includes titles in History, the Social Sciences, Criminal Justice, and more.
- Learning Express Library(194 titles): E-books on career development topics, test prep, and personal development.
- Open Library: NC LIVE has partnered with the Open Library to offer access to over 200,000 books published between 1924 and 1999. These E-Books cover many subjects and include fiction, young adult, and children's titles.
Upon request, the library will allow a designated Shaw student or staff member to check out and renew materials for disabled or visually impaired students without the student having to come to the Library.
Two handicapped parking spaces are located in the rear library parking lot. Other parking accommodations can be made by contacting Campus Security at (919) 546-8249. Handicapped and ramp accessibility is also available at all campus libraries.
If you would like an orientation or have other questions about the library services and access, contact the Director of Library Services at Shaw University – (919) 546-8407 or visit the library webpage at www.shawu.edu/libraries.