G. Franklin Wiggins Library
The G. Franklin Wiggins Library is named in honor of Dr. G. Franklin Wiggins, a graduate of Shaw University and Divinity School. Dr. Wiggins served for many years as Chair of the Trustee Board of the Divinity School and was one of its chief benefactors. Since 1996, his widow, Dr. Ida Silver Wiggins, has donated significantly to the University in his honor. She was a major contributor to the restoration of the first floor of historic Leonard Hall, which houses The G. Franklin Wiggins Library.
The Library provides services and resources within a Christian environment to support the present and anticipated educational and research needs of the Shaw University Divinity School community. The Library serves a primarily graduate and professional clientele who are preparing for service as clergy or laity in churches and other Christian ministries.
Phone: (919) 716-5518
Location: Leonard Hall, 1st Floor
Hours of Operation
The Library's hours of operation are posted near the library's main entrance. Library hours are subject to change for a new semester depending on the perceived needs of students and faculty. The Library is closed on holidays observed by the Divinity School. The current hours of operation are:
|Sunday and Monday ||CLOSED |
|Tuesday, Thursday and Friday ||9:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m. |
|Wednesday ||9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. |
|Saturday ||7:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. |
- Reference Collection: Reference resources include reference books; the African-American reference collection; journals, magazines, and newspapers; journals on microfiche; and Master of Divinity theses. Reference materials may be used for research inside the library. These resources may not be checked out for outside use.
- Circulating Collection: Resources that may be checked out for use outside the library include books in the circulating collection, the African-American circulating collection, and audio tapes of sermons.
- Reserved Resources: Faculty are encouraged to place supplementary, informational materials "on reserve" in the library. Student use of these materials is determined by the faculty and is usually for library use only. Students wishing to use reserved resources may do so by requesting the resource at the circulation desk and signing a "reserve card" for each item taken.
- Up to six (6) books from the circulating collection may be checked out for two (2) weeks.
- Two (2) renewals are allowed for each book unless another person has requested the book. If the book has been requested, it is placed "on hold" and cannot be renewed. Books must be brought into the Library to be renewed.
Shaw University Divinity School has a cooperative agreement with the Duke University Divinity School that allows Library use and borrowing privileges subject to library regulations. To obtain a Duke Divinity School Library borrower's card, patrons may go to the Duke Divinity School Library Circulation Desk, 407 Chapel Drive at Duke University, Durham Monday through Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. with their current Shaw University ID. Ringing ahead to confirm that a staff member is on duty who is able to issue cards is advised. Patrons will be asked to fill out paperwork and a borrower's card will be issued on the spot. For all Shaw Faculty, Students and staff, there is no longer a need to purchase the 'External Borrowers Card' from Duke.
Also, Shaw University is included in the Cooperating Raleigh Colleges (CRC) (link to http://crcraleighcolleges.org/) that allows library use and borrowing privileges in other educational institutions in the Raleigh area. They include:
Students may obtain forms from the librarian that will identify them as Shaw students who are authorized to use these libraries. Call 716-5518 and ask for a CRC form.
Patrons of the G. Franklin Wiggins Library are afforded the use of up-to-date computers for internet and on-line database searching, including:
New computers on the second floor of Leonard Hall offer Shaw students access to both the internet and word processing.
A copy machine is available in the Library. The cost of these copies is $.10 per page.