Mission and Goals
The Office of Professional Development strives to empower Shaw University faculty and staff by providing professional, instructional, and curricular development opportunities. With a commitment to learning, creativity, innovation and quality service, the Office of Professional Development is guided by the principles of visionary leadership, data driven decisions and continuous improvement.
The mission and goals of the Professional Development program at Shaw University are fulfilled by:
- Creating an office that provides opportunities and resources to help strengthen professional and technological skills of faculty and staff.
- Providing funds for faculty and staff to attend conferences and workshops pertinent to teaching and the learning process, technological skills, as well as customer focused training.
- Organizing in-house workshops and conferences on the integration and use of technology.
- Instituting activities that help new employees quickly adjust and get assimilated into the institutional and professional arenas.
- Providing a supportive and rewarding system for faculty and staff who are innovative and are recognized by their peers for their excellence.
- Providing financial assistance in the form of mini-grant awards for activities and projects geared toward promoting and improving teaching effectiveness, scholarship, and enhancing student learning.
- Providing a forum for faculty to dialog with one another -brown-bag seminars - sharing ideas, discussing issues that are pertinent to the overall teaching profession, individual research, and / or student learning, while also creating a sense of community.