Shaw University is now accepting applications for our Science Outreach Summer Academy (SOSA). The Science Outreach Summer Academy (SOSA) will focus on the recruitment, retention and counseling of minority students through an intensive five-week summer program in mathematics, science, and English. The program will provide an early exposure to college life and an opportunity to earn nine semester hours of college credit! Diverse teaching techniques will be utilized including computer-assisted instruction, innovative laboratory activities, visiting scientists, science seminars, peer-tutoring, and progress monitoring. These techniques will be employed to increase minority participation in the science and mathematics fields. All applicants must have a 2.7 or higher GPA.
Our Goal - YOUR SUCCESS
The primary objective of the SOSA Program is to increase the number of minority graduates in biology, chemistry, mathematics and computer science at Shaw University. The overall goal of the program is to identify and address the academic improvement needs of college-bound minority students in these areas. Through this program, we intend to recruit 20 minority high school graduates for an intensive five-week summer program in mathematics, science, and English. Emphasis on character development will be stressed throughout the program.
- Must be a high school graduate with a 2.7 or higher GPA.
- Must be a US citizen or permanent resident admitted to Shaw University.
- Must declare major in the STEM (Natural Sciences and Math) field.
The SOSA Program is funded by NSF Grant Award #0711330
- Early exposure to college life!
- An opportunity to earn 9 semester hours of college credit!
- Tuition, room and board for selected SOSA students will be paid by the NSF grant.
- All Summer 2013 textbooks, notebooks and school supplies included!
- SOSA students who earn and maintain a 3.0 GPA or above and choose STEM majors have the opportunity to apply for a Research Assistantship (12 hrs/ week) during the Fall 2013- 2014 semester. Research assistants can earn up to $5,000 for one