Skip Navigation
search icon Open Search Field

Student Complaint Process

Shaw University is committed to meeting the needs of students. That's why we're an approved institution under the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement - North Carolina (SARA-NC).  The agreement establishes comparable national standards for the interstate offering of post-secondary distance education courses and programs across state lines.

One main objective of the agreement is to make it easier for North Carolina colleges and universities to provide online and distance education options to students in other states. The agreement also provides basic protections for students and requires us to provide current and prospective students with contact information for filing complaints with the college, its accrediting agency, and with state agencies that handle complaints in the student’s state of residence.

Students residing outside the State of North Carolina while taking online courses from Shaw University who desire to resolve an academic grievance or complaint should follow the Shaw University Complaint Process below:

Grievance Resolution
Contact Information
Dr. Michael West
118 E. South Street
Raleigh, NC 27601 | 919-546-8542

Students are advised to begin the complaint process at the institutional level.  In communicating specific concerns, complaints, and grievances, students are encouraged to follow established policies and procedures outlined in the online Shaw Student Handbook (102-104) and the Shaw University Academic Catalog by clicking here.  These methods include grievance and appeal procedures for academic problems or grades, academic suspension and other academic policies; harassment and nondiscrimination policy complaints, reports of sexual misconduct; Honor Code violations, financial aid probation or suspension; disability services and access to educational records.

Note: This form is for external visitors to the University. All Students would need to login to Bearsnet to complete a grievance form.

Complaint Process for North Carolina Department of Justice

If you are not satisfied with the outcome of the complaint process at Shaw University, you may choose to file a complaint with the Consumer Protection Division of the North Carolina Department of Justice. To file a complaint with the Consumer Protection Division of the North Carolina Department of Justice, please visit the State Attorney General’s web page at: North Carolina residents may call (877) 566-7226. Outside of North Carolina, please call (919) 716-6000. En Español (919) 716-0058.


If you choose to mail a complaint, please use the following address:

Consumer Protection Division
Attorney General’s Office
9001 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-9001

SACSCOC Student Complaint Process

If you are not satisfied with the outcome of the complaint process, you may also choose to file a complaint with Shaw University’s accrediting agency.  Shaw University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award degrees and diplomas.  Students who file a complaint with the accrediting agency should follow the SACSCOC Complaint Procedure.  The contact information for SACSCOC is:

1866 Southern Lane
Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097
Telephone: 404-679-4500

SARA-NC Complaint Process

Students may also choose to file a complaint through SARA-NC.  SARA-NC is the portal for the North Carolina State Education Assistance Authority.  Students should follow SARA North Carolina Student Complaint Process and use the SARA-NC Complaint form (PDF). The contact information for SARA-NC is:

SARA North Carolina
North Carolina State Education Assistance Authority
P.O. Box 14103
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
Toll-free Telephone: (855) SARA-1-NC (727-2161), toll free
Telephone: (919) 248-4667, local

Professional Licensure Disclosures

If you are considering a program at Shaw University that leads to professional licensure and you do not live in North Carolina, please contact the respective department at Shaw University or the respective licensing board in the state where you reside before beginning the program.

Birth through Kindergarten (BK-Licensure)
Dr. Lucy Wilson
Dean, Department of Education | 919-546-8322

State By State education Professional Licensing Boards Directory